They say that the couple that sweats together, stays together. If you’re like me, dinner and drinks can be fun, but finding a way to get a workout in with your partner and earn those drinks can feel even better!
Living in Seattle we have tons of incredible stuff to do in the summer, and these date ideas are perfect for people anyone who wants to move their body, stay healthy and have fun! Drinks and dinner afterward totally optional – especially if you really worked up a sweat.
Best Active Date Ideas
- Make your way up a mountain – We are surrounded by mountains and so lucky to live within 30-40 minutes of a wealth of hikes. This is a nice opportunity to unplug, break a sweat and work towards an epic view with someone you care about. Pack a picnic lunch to nosh on at the top and you have the makings for a great, fit date. Check out the WTA website to find a hike that suits you and your partner. https://www.wta.org/go-outside/hikes
- Spend some time on the water – Don’t have any friends with a boat? Not a problem, there are tons of places on the sound, Lake Union, and Lake Washington to rent kayaks, stand up paddle boards and even row boats. Aqua Verde – http://aguaverde.com/paddleclub/ is a great place to hop in the water and check out the houseboats, and bonus – it’s also a restaurant so you can have a margarita and some tacos afterwards! If you are looking for something a bit more off the beaten path, the UW https://www.washington.edu/ima/waterfront/canoe-boat-rentals/ rents canoes and row boats for super cheap and it’s usually much less busy
- Go on a walk – Hear me out, I know this sounds boring, but don’t just walk to walk, have a destination, or better yet, a few destinations. A walk around the lake can be super nice when it’s hot out, but if you’re more the short jaunt type, pick 3 places for drinks, dinner and dessert and make sure they’re in different parts of Seattle and walk from place to place. It can be really fun to spread out your meal and see the city in between places.
- Spin your wheels – If you both have bikes or can rent them, take them for a spin! You can bike on the Burke Gilman all the way out to Redmond, snag a beer at Redhook and some lunch or even sip some wine in WIne Country before heading back to catch dinner. You and your partner will love feeling the wind in your face and can even stop at Matthews Beach https://www.seattle.gov/parks/find/parks/matthews-beach-park to dip your toes in the water to cool off.
- Try a crazy class – Ever wanted to do aerial yoga? Or push yourself in cross fit? Why not do it together – find something you’re both interested in and go and have fun. You might not know all the moves or be the best, but you’ll know you’re in it together and can even help push each other to get out of their comfort zone or make it through that last rep.
- Climb your way to closeness – There are plenty of indoor and outdoor rock climbing walls around Seattle that accommodate amateurs and the more experienced. If you’re an REI Member, they offer all levels of classes at their indoor wall https://www.rei.com/outdoorschool/climbing-classes.html and Stone Gardens in Ballard has a great outdoor wall https://www.stonegardens.com/seattle/default.aspx
- Dance time! Dancing together can be a fun and romantic way to be active on your date and doesn’t even require athletic clothing. Century Ballroom offers lots of classes and has open dance sessions you can drop into. http://www.centuryballroom.com/home/calendar If that’s not really your thing, check out the Stranger’s website for all things dance and theater to find something that fits your style. http://www.thestranger.com/events/performance
Hope you feel inspired to do something a little different on your next date and get a little fitter in the process. Let me know if you have any other fun active date ideas in Seattle that you’ve tried and love!