A good friend of mine just recently had a baby, and they are doing the most ingenious thing I’ve ever heard of. To take care of their nutritional needs in the crazy wake of welcoming a new person into their lives they signed up for MealTrain. It allows your friends to bring you food on days you chose, great right? Who wants to deal with grocery shopping and slaving away in the kitchen when you just created some incredible human life and want to spend all your time with that precious little bundle of happiness. Not to mention you get to sample all kinds of food and cooking styles – bonus! (maybe that’s just me that would be excited about this)
As a way to support my friend, I signed up to bring her dinner tonight, which for me actually took a lot of planning. I have to confess, I usually don’t decide until the day of what I’m making for dinner which results in a lot of trips to the grocery store. So many trips in fact that my manfriend and mother are concerned with how well the cashiers at our local Trader Joe’s know me. Oh well 🙂
So yesterday I got my planning on and decided to make them chicken enchiladas. While I don’t eat meat, my wonderful future mother in law bought me a crock pot for the holidays and I’ve been putting it to use for things like cooking an entire chicken. It’s the prefect scenario for me- hands off! Anyway, enough about that dinner that has yet to happen (I’ll post that recipe later) since I did all that planning yesterday for what I’d take to my friend today, last night I was not in the mood to have to think about what I was going to make myself for dinner. And that’s where this bowl comes in, it’s easy, relatively quick and I made it with all things I already had in my kitchen.
This bowl was warm and delicious offering some bitterness from arugula and a bit of crunchy from the brussel sprouts. The roasted tomatoes offered a bit of burst of flavor and color and were the perfect addition. I top it all with a lemon tahini dressing and the result was fantastic, I couldn’t stop eating it.
Roasted Tomato, Zucchini and Brussel Sprouts Bowl with Fresh Arugula and Lemon Tahini Dressing
Prep Time : 10 minutes | Cook Time : 30 minutes | Serves : 4
2 cups brussel sprouts
2 medium zucchini
1 package mini heirloom tomatoes
3 cups arugula
2 cups faro
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Start by chopping ends off brussel sprouts and slicing in half. Place in bowl and toss with avocado oil and salt and pepper and place on baking sheet. Slice zucchini lengthwise and again down the middle and slice into even pieces. Toss with whole tomatoes in oil and salt and pepper.
2. Put both trays in the oven and roast for about 25 minutes, checking occasionally and stirring.
3. While veggies are in the oven, bring 4 cups of water to boil on the stove and add uncooked faro. Lower temperature and keep on a rolling boil until faro is cooked. Set aside.
4. When veggies are cooked, remove from oven and assemble bowl. Layer farro in bottom of bowl and top with zucchini, tomato and brussel sprouts and top with arugula. Pour lemon tahini dressing (recipe below) on top and mix to enjoy!
Lemon Tahini Dressing
Prep Time : 5 mins | Total Time : 5 mins
1/2 cup tahini
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Salt & Pepper
1. Mix all that delicious stuff in your blender until creamy, you can play around with this, if you want it more watery add some plain almond milk or water, if you want it thicker, up the tahini. You can’t really even taste the soy sauce in here, it’s like its the mystery ingredient, I made this and felt like it was missing something. Threw some soy sauce in there and it was perfect.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I did, so easy and so delicious. Happy Hump Day!